Along with welcome coronavirus economic relief, the 2021 omnibus spending bill that Congress has passed contains an unwelcome holiday gift for vapers: serious restrictions on vape product shipping that will change the retail vape market for the worse.
The “Preventing Online Sales of E-Cigarettes to Children Act” was described by many as the “vape mail ban.” The law does in fact require the U.S. Postal Service to create its own regulations within 120 days banning U.S. Mail delivery of vaping products—whether they contain nicotine or not.
But the “Preventing Online Sales of E-Cigarettes to Children Act” does much more than ending vape mail. The new law will force shippers of nicotine and cannabis vaping products to comply with the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act, which imposes stringent rules on online sellers. (The PACT Act is part of the larger federal Jenkins Act.)
Online retailers will be required to:
• Register with the U.S. Attorney General
• Verify age of customers using a commercially available database
• Use private shipping services that collect an adult signature at the point of delivery
• If selling in states that tax vaping products, sellers must register with the federal government and with the tobacco tax administrators of the states and collect all applicable local and state taxes, and affix any required tax stamps to the products sold
• Send each taxing state’s tax administrator a list of all transactions with customers in their state, including the names and addresses of each customer sold to, and the quantities and type of each product sold
• Maintain records for five years of any “delivery interrupted because the carrier or service determines or has reason to believe that the person ordering the delivery is in violation of the [PACT Act]”
What does this mean for you? It means with Fedex already implementing a voluntary ban, all shipments will need to go through UPS or DHL. It means increased cost for shipping and signature at delivery service, slower shipping times compared to USPS for many customers at further distances and it means you will need to be home to sign for your package to be delivered.
Please sign the petition linked here: